MATCH REPORT | Champions!

Real Betis conquers the Copa del Rey after beating Valencia CF in the penalty shoot-out

Magical. Historical. Wonderful. We could go on and make a list of all the positive adjectives that come to mind and none of them would come closer to what happened last night at La Cartuja Stadium. After almost three hours of tension, emotion and nerves, Joaquín lifted the Copa del Rey. A victory that should have come earlier, as Betis were better than Valencia, although the opposition fought a fierce battle. But it had to be in penalties. And it tasted so good.

Betis started well in the game. They were looking for the possession, they had it, and, step by step, the team started to push forward. Then, after ten minutes of play, after a great play on the rich, Bellerín delivered a fantastic cross that Borja Iglesias headed to the back of the net. Absolute scenes.

The goal made the team improve and Juanmi got really close to score the second. Valencia were at this point more focused on defending and stop Betis' attacking force with many fouls, but they still were dangerous on counterattacks. In fact, this way came the equalizer. Hugo Duro took advantage of a great pass from Moriba and scored. The Green and Whites struggled after conceding the goal, but then got their composure back. In fact, just before half time, the second was really close to come, but Canales' effort hit the post.

After the break, it seemed that Valencia had come on with more intensity, pressing really strong. They had a really good chance, but the ball went over the bar. Betis started to be themselves step by step and approached the rival's area again. Juanmi had a really good chance that the keeper deflected. Three minutes later, Canales shot inches wide.

The best was again for Juanmi, whose effort hit the post. Valencia were under siege at this point, and Fekir almost put the ball past Mamardashvili, but the keeper deflected the ball wide. And Borja also got really close near the end. However, Valencia had the last one before full time, but their counterattack was saved by Bravo.

The extra time went by with more tension that plays. Cramps, tiredness and nerves were the main characters at this point. And it was over. Time for the penalty shoot-out.

Valencia shot first. Soler did not miss. Neither did Willian José. All the players were founding the net until it was time for Valencia's fourth shot. Musah sent it over the bar. Tello scored immediately after. Valencia's fifth also went in. Only one left. Miranda, the boy raised at Betis Youth, took the responsibility. And the rest is histoy. Real Betis alé.

Real Betis: Bravo, Bellerín, Pezzella, Bartra, Álex Moreno (Miranda 106'), Guido Rodríguez, William Carvalho (Guardado 101'), Canales (Tello 111'), Juanmi (Joaquín 85'), Fekir (Aitor Ruibal 111'), Borja Iglesias (Willian José 101').
Goals: Borja Iglesias (11').
Booked: Carvalho, Pezzella, Guido Rodríguez, Borja Iglesias, Tello.

Valencia CF: Mamardashvili, Foulquier (Musah 99'), Diakhaby, Paulista, Alderete, Gayà, Guillamón (Racic 85'), Moriba (Thierry 79'), Soler, Guedes, Hugo Duro (Bryan Gil 85').
Goals: Duro (30').
Booked: Paulista, Guillamón, Alderete, Thierry, Soler.

Penalty shoot-out: 
Real Betis: Willian José - goal; Joaquín ? goal; Guardado ? goal; Tello ? goal; Miranda ? goal.
Valencia CF: Soler ? goal; Racic ? goal; Guedes ? goal; Musah ? missed; Gayá ? goal.

Referee: Alejandro José Hernández Hernández.