MATCH REPORT | Defeat against Atletico de Madrid (1-2)

Bartra scored the goal for the team

Real Betis Balompié could not finish the year with a victory over Atletico de Madrid. The Green and Whites were better than their rivals on the pitch and the score was not fair considering what happened at Benito Villamarín. Also, several questionable decisions from the referee had an impact on the game. The goals came all in the second half. Correa and Morata scored for the visitors and Bartra did for Real Betis.

The match began with high pace, with both teams fighting to gain the possession. In the eighth minute, Atletico scored, but the striker was offside and the goal was ruled off. Betis replied immediately after with a free kick from Canales that Oblak saved.

Fifteen minutes into the game and Feddal had the best so far with a header that hit the crossbar. Betis were in control at this point, having the ball and trying the attack all the time. However, in a counterattack, Morata found himself alone on front of Robles and shot. The keeper deflected the ball, it hit the post and bounced back to Robles.

At the beginning of the second half, Betis continued controlling the possession, but the game had many fouls and interruptions. However, a mistake in Betis' defence let Correa alone in front of goal. He dribbles past Robles and scored. Betis tried to react immediately and had a good chance through Emerson, whose shot went over the bar.

Betis wanted to score and were looking for it. Bartra got really close to leveling up with a volley from outside the area that went just over the bar. Two minutes later, Canales hit the post with a good shot. Then, the first really controversial decision of the referee came (although several questionable decisions had already taken place). He didn't show Thomas a yellow card, the second would have been, for a foul that clearly deserved a card. Five minutes before, he also deserved another yellow. No further comments, your honour.

To make matters worse, Atleti scored the second in a counterattack. Betis did not give up, though, and continued attacking until the end. Finally, the goal came in the added time when Bartra caught a loose ball in the area and smashed it home. The referee checked the VAR and used a lot of time to do it so, but confirmed the decision. But he whistle for full time immediately after when there was, supposedly, more time to be played.

Real Betis Balompié: Joel Robles, Emerson, Mandi, Bartra, Feddal, Álex Moreno, Guardado (Lainez 69'), Canales, Joaquín, Fekir, Loren (Borja Iglesias 59').
Goals: Bartra (92').
Booked: Mandi (50'), Bartra (80').

Club Atlético de Madrid: Oblak, Trippier, Felipe, Giménez, Lodi, Herrera, Thomas, Saúl, Lemar (Correa 56'), Joao Félix (Llorente 88'), Morata.
Goals: Correa (58'), Morata (66').
Booked: Joao Félix (41'), Thomas (55'), Morata (66').

Referee: Xavier Estrada Fernández.