The players celebrate the goal scored by Canales.

MATCH REPORT | Ecstasy (2-1)

The team got the three points in the added time with a superb free kick by Canales

Just before six o'clock in the evening, Benito Villamarín exploded. Canales had just scored a magnificent free kick. A goal that meant three deserved points in one of the best performances of the season so far. Valencia CF got the lead in an even first half but Joaquín scored just four minutes later. In the second half, Betis was quite superior and finally got the reward.

The game began with high pace and Betis trying to attack from the start. However, Valencia wanted to attack, too, and started to approach the area on the other end. Halfway through the first half, the Green and Whites had the ball more and tried to work the plays while the rivals looked for a more direct approach.

The first clear chance of the game was for Fekir, who tried with his right foot from outside the box but Cillessen saved. However, it was Valencia who stroke first. Maxi Gómez cot a loose ball inside the area and scored. But Betis answered just four minutes later. Álex Moreno made a fantastic run on the left and delivered a great cross that Joaquín tapped in.

The goal made was just what the team needed and had two good chances before half time to take the lead. First, Emerson headed wide a cross from Joaquín. Then, the Brazilian made a good pressing and stole the ball and passed it to Fekir. The Frenchman dribbled and produced a right-footed shot. Cillessen made a great save to deny him.

Real Betis began really well in the second half and were going for the goal. Fekir tries again with his right, missing the target by not too much. Two minutes later, Moreno produced a great shot that forced Cillessen to make another phenomenal intervention.

Betis were in control and trying to score, but the danger Valencia could make in counterattacks was evident. In one of them, Parejo tested Robles, but the keeper made a good save to send the ball to corner kick. Bad news came for Betis fifteen minutes before the end as Sidnei had to leave the pitch injured. Barragán came on to act as an improvised centre back.

After a good personal play, Fekir shot from outside the box and hit the crossbar. Same outcome for Lee one minute later on the other end. Fekir tried again in the 90th minute, missing the target by millimeters.

It seemed that everything was over when Canales shot a free kick to place it in the top left corner and leave the three points at home.


Real Betis Balompié: Joel Robles, Emerson, Mandi, Sidnei (Barragán 76'), Edgar (Borja Iglesias 69'), Álex Moreno, Guardado, Canales, Joaquín, Fekir, Loren (Pedraza 81').
Goals: Joaquín (36'), Canales (93').
Booked: Edgar (31'), Álex Moreno (63').

Valencia CF: Cillessen, Costa, Mangala, Paulista, Gayà, Wass, Parejo, Ferrán Torres (Kang In Lee 86'), Vallejo (Gameiro 64'), Rodrigo (Soler 74') y Maxi Gómez.
Goals: Gómez (32').
Booked: Wass (57'), Gayà (92').

Referee: Ricardo de Burgos Bengoetxea.