MATCH REPORT | Real Betis lost at home against Valencia CF (1-2)

The team tried until the end

Real Betis Balompié lost today three important points against Valencia CF. In spite of being superior in the first half, the away team took the lead in their only shot on goal in the whole first 45 minutes and just before half time. Guedes, the scorer, did the same again three minutes into the second half, leaving the match really difficult for the Green and Whites. However, the team did not give up and kept on trying. Lo Celso cut the lead from the spot and the team had the rival under siege for the final minutes, but did not find the net.

Five minutes into the game and Betis had the first chance, but the curled effort from Tello went just wide. Despite the first chance, the initial minutes were quite slow. Betis were trying to build up with calm, and monopolised the ball. In this way came the second occasion of the match when Joaquín delivered a low cross to Jesé, whose effort was deflected by a defender.

In the corner kick that followed, Feddal headed the ball millimetres from the post. Betis were trying more than the rival, that was waiting well closed in defence.

The first for Valencia came five minutes before the end of the first half but Mina shot over the bar. Lo Celso gave the reply with a header that did not find the target. It seemed that the game was going to go goalless into half time when Guedes made a good personal play and score from outside the box.

And again he did the same three minutes into the second half, in a very similar play. Betis then moved their lines forward, trying to attack with everything. This also left open spaces in the back for Valencia to counterattack.

Valencia were defending strong and Betis did not manage to break the lines. In this way, Betis relied a lot on set pieces. In one of them, Junior headed a cross from Guardado, but Neto was well placed and saved it. The plot changed when, twelve minutes before the end, Paulista deflected a cross with his arm inside the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Lo Celso took the responsibility and did not miss.

Villamarín started to push really hard, knowing that a second goal could be on its way. Loren almost did it after a corner kick, and then Tello tried with a good effort that Neto blocked. Also, Valencia got Rodrigo sent off eight minutes before the end when he was shown a second yellow card.

Betis tried with everything in the final minutes, with Valencia defending with all their men inside the box. It couldn't be and three crucial points fly away from home.

Real Betis Balompié: Pau López, Tello, Mandi (Loren 58'), Feddal, Bartra, Junior, Kaptoum (Lainez 74'), Guardado, Joaquín, Lo Celso, Jesé (Sergio León 68').
Goals: Lo Celso, pen. (78').
Booked: Guardado (45'), Feddal (57'), Lo Celso (72').

Valencia CF: Neto, Wass, Garay, Paulista, Gayà, Parejo, Coquelin, Soler, Cheryshev (Rodrigo 33'), Guedes (Gameiro 76'), Mina (Lato 68').
Goals: Guedes (44', 48').
Booked: Rodrigo (61').
Sent off: Rodrigo (82').