MATCH REPORT | Real Betis lost in San Mamés (1-0)

The team improved their performance but got defeated

Real Betis Balompié continued today with the negative streak since LaLiga returned. The team couldn't overcome an early goal scored by Athletic Club. The Green and Whites were better than their rival at certain moments of the game, but lucked punch in attack. Also, five minutes before the end, Sergio Canales missed a penalty.

Really early in the game, Athletic had the first one after a big mistake by Betis' defence. It was the preamble, as the locals took the lead five minutes later when Martínez finished an assist from the left. A play, again, poorly defended by Betis.

The Green and Whites tried to react and started to have the ball for longer. Step by step, the team started to play on Athletic's half of the pitch. Fekir had the first after a good pass from Guardado, but a slight deflection from a defender avoided the goal.

The second half began without changes and a high pace, with each team having one chance in the early minutes. First, Iglesias produced a bicycle kick that the keeper saved. One minute later, on the other end, Williams made a run but Robles saved it. The best for the visitors came soon afterwards when Canales found Iglesias inside the area. The striker shot but Simón deflected with his fingertips.

Two minutes later, Raúl García smashed a header on the crossbar. The game was quite open at this point, with options for both sides. Fekir almost made it, but the keeper pushed the ball out over the line. The ball was again for Fekir, who was tackled inside the area. The referee whistled for penalty after VAR confirmation. Canales shot but send the ball over the crossbar.

Nothing much happened and Betis added another setback.

Athletic Club: Simón, Capa, Núñez, Martínez, Yuri (Balenziaga 92'), Unai López (Sancet 86'), Dani García, Muniain (Vesga 73'), Córdoba, Raúl García (De Marcos 92'), Williams (Villalibre 92').
Goals: Martínez (6').
Booked: Yuri (14'), Muniain (36'), Martínez (84'), García (89').

Real Betis Balompié: Joel Robles, Emerson, Mandi, Bartra, Pedraza (Aleñá 69'), Guido Rodríguez (Juanmi 86'), Guardado (Álex Moreno 56'), Canales, Fekir, Lainez (Tello 56'), Borja Iglesias (Loren 69').

Referee: Valentín Pizarro Gómez.