Lo Celso, during the game.

MATCH REPORT | A draw to keep at the top of the group (1-1)

The Green and White are leaders with one point above AC Milan and Olympiacos

Real Betis and AC Milan tied tonight at Benito Villamarín Stadium. Lo Celso score in a first half that was of absolute control for the Green and Whites. However, Suso score in the second to close the score. Betis tried until the end but they couldn't move the score.

A fantastic atmosphere welcomed the two teams onto the pitch, with the whole Stadium chanting for the Green and Whites. Betis tried to gain possession at the start, but the first minutes were even. The first chance was for Milan, with a shot from Çalhanoglu that went quite wide. Step by step, Betis began to approach the opposite area, and after twelve minutes, the goal arrived. A good collective play that ended on the left wing, where Junior delivered a good cross that Lo Celso sent to the back of the net.

The second was close to arrive soon afterwards, but Sanabria didn't reach by a whisker the cross from Joaquín. Even closer was the Paraguayan to score in the 26th minute, but his effort went out just by the post. After the first half an hour, AC Milan had their first serious approaches, but just with one shot on goal so far that didn't create much trouble to Pau López. For some minutes, the away team played on Betis' half of the pitch, though. Eventually, the Green and Whites shook the pressure off and again attacked.

With no changes at half time, the second period went underway. It could be seen that Milan had moved their pressing line forward, trying to enclose Betis in their box, but the team managed to attack anyway. The first chance, in fact, was for Lo Celso, whose effort with his right went high.

Suso replied a few minutes later with a great shot looking for the top corner, but Pau flew there to send the ball into corner kick. In the following play, AC Milan were granted a free-kick near the corner of the box. Suso crossed the ball, nobody touched it but still the ball went in.

After the goal, Betis tried to gain their composure back and wanted to move forward but Milan were defending well. When it was not the defence of the rival, the referee whistled for foul in some actions in which the away players were just slipping. Scary moment twelve minutes before the end when two Milan players clashed in the air. The hit with Kessié left Musacchio on the floor and the medical staff of both teams run to aid the Argentine. He had to leave the game.

Time was running out and both teams were battling hard to get the victory. Betis fans pushed, trying to give the team that extra they were looking for. Junior got really close to score, but Reina deflected the ball. However, the referee decided it was a goal kick. One minute later, Lo Celso gave a great pass to Tello who set foot on the box and tried to score, but again the Spanish keeper denied him.

The next occasion was again for Betis, this time with a long-range effort that went high. Betis were not happy with the draw and wanted the victory. It couldn't be and Real Betis add another point to still be at the top of the group.


Real Betis Balompié: Pau López, Tello, Mandi, Bartra, Feddal, Junior, Carvalho, Lo Celso, Canales, Joaquín (Guardado 66'), Sanabria (Loren 73').
Goals: Lo Celso (12').
Feddal (44'), Lo Celso (60').

AC Milan: Reina, Musacchio (Romagnoli 82'), Zapata, Rodríguez, Laxalt (Abate 75'), Bakayoko, Kessié, Çalhanoglu (Bertolacci 88'), Borini, Suso, Cutrone.
Suso (61').
Rodríguez (72'), Musacchio (77'), Bakayoko (89'), Bertolacci (92').

Referee: Craig Pawson, England.