The players celebrate the goal.

MATCH REPORT | Three points and onto the last 32 (1-0)

Canales scored the last goal

Real Betis Balompié qualified tonight to the last 32 round of the Europa League after beating Olympiacos FC. The team was fairly superior to their rival and got the lead in the first half thanks to a goal by Sergio Canales.

The game began with high pace, with Real Betis trying to get the possession. In spite of the early control, the first chance was for the Greek through Bouchalakis, whose shot went over the bar.

A couple of Betis approaches seemed to set the way the game was going to unfold, with Olympiacos defending strong and trying to counterattack. In one of them, Camara shot from distance, missing the target. However, Betis got the perfect chance to take the lead soon. Mandi was brought down inside the box and the referee whistled for penalty. Sergio León took the ball and shot, but Sá made a great save. Despite the miss, the team didn't get down and continued the same way.

However, the visitors had their best of the game just after the first half an hour. Bouchalakis, alone inside the box, headed the ball just wide. Betis replied immediately with a good play that finished with a shot from Lo Celso that the keeper blocked. It was a warning of what happened a minute later. A good combination by the team and ball fell to Canales, whose precise shot found the bottom right corner.

Olympiacos got really close to level the score before half time. A header from Fortounis beat Robles, but mandi was on the goal line to clear the ball. The Greek striker tried again with a free kick, but Robles made a good save. León could double the team's lead in the last play of the first half, but his effort went over.

The second half began and Betis had the first chance really soon, but the volley from Lo Celso could not find the target. It seemed that the away team was trying to attack more and advance their lines, but Betis was steady and got the ball back again. In fact, Sanabria was really close to increase the distance in the score, but his shot hit the crossbar.

Olympiacos were pressing really hard at this point, but the Green and Whites did not hesitate on the ball. Actually, it seemed that Betis' second was closer than the draw.

Lo Celso, Canales and Carvalho were controlling the midfield and made several great plays. However, in the final minutes, Olympiacos went with everything and put Betis under pressure, but they were taking risks and Betis almost closed the game in a counterattack. Sanabria shot and Sá deflected. The ball fell to Inui who volleyed it and again Sá made a great save.

In the last play of the game, Olympiacos had all their men, including the keeper, inside Betis' box, but nothing happened and Betis took three marvellous points.

Real Betis Balompié: Joel Robles, Tello (Barragán 82'), Mandi, Bartra (Javi García 73'), Sidnei, Junior, Carvalho, Lo Celso, Canales, Sergio León (Inui 62'), Sanabria.
Goals: Canales (38').
Booked: Bartra (28'), Mandi (72'), Sanabria (73'), Canales (86'), Lo Celso (87').

Olympiacos FC: José Sá, Elabdellaoui, Cisse, Vukovic, Tsimikas, Camara, Bouchalakis (Guerrero 58'), Guilherme (natcho 81'), Nahuel (Vrousai 71'), Podence, Fortounis.
Booked: Fortounis (16'), Nahuel (23'), Bouchalakis (24'), Elabdellaoui (81').